Apple Picking

Sunday, April 20, 2008

House Centipede

This is a really gross post I know, but hey, this is The Snow Report and that is what we do here. Poopy diapers, spiders, hand lacerations and now this! The picture doesn't even do it justice because you have to see one of these things move.

I think most bugs are YUCKY! In fact, just the other night I screamed like a banshee after seeing a spider. Thank goodness I disposed of it before Madison ate it:) My scream woke up both Madison and Jake... and made one of them cry. It really is amazing that many of my summers were spent working at camps in the great outdoors. You would think I would have made peace with bugs by now.

I had told some friends here that I would post some pictures of this bug so here is the story behind what you see. When Jake and I first moved to Toledo we had an encounter with this aweful monster of a bug. Jake was doing the dishes, it seems he does that a lot in our posts. All of a sudden I saw something the size of a mouse scurry past his feet. I of course screamed causing Jake to almost drop the glass he was washing. Because of the lightening speed of this creature, I couldn't find it and I was very worried at where it might have gone. Just as I had thoughts of finding it again in our bed the creature came running out from under the door. At that point we realized that it wasn't a mouse but the weirdest insect we had ever seen. With quite a bit of effort Jake was finally able to stomp on it. I was worried that I would find more of these bugs in the house. The next day I did some research to find out what kind of bug this was (what if it was dangerous?) I found out that this insect is called a house centipede and that they are actually "good bugs" that eat other pests like spiders and beatles. They can span out to about 4 inches in length and they are really fast. They are pretty much the cheetahs of the insect world. I really didn't care if it was a good bug or not, I wasn't about to welcome anything with this many legs into our home. A few days later we saw one more, but we have been free of house centipedes since then. You really don't have to worry about making a visit to the Snow home, we are relatively bug free:)

Today in Sunday School however, we had another encounter with the house centipede. Luckily Brother Sacks took care of it leaving only a big smear on the wall, which he later cleaned up. I thought we should have captured it for Leisy, our Science teacher in the ward who loves bugs. Sorry Leisy, I forgot to bring my bug catcher to church this Sunday:) This picture will have to do for now.

6 comments:

Cynthia said...

O.k. that bug is gross. That would freak me out too, especially if it looks like a mouse.
..and for the record I am assuming that the one that cried from your screaming was Jake!

Julie Sacks said...

I had the same thing happen when we first moved here. Since then I have seen about 3. I hate how fast they are and just seeing that picture makes the hair on my neck stand! What nasty big bugs they are!!!

Brittney said...

I've seen those bugs in my mom's house in Pennsylvania! I get chills just thinking about them! I love the lounging pic of Madison, by the way... =)

Emilee said...

Gross indeed. Yuck that they are called "house centipedes" like they belong in a people home. Anything that yucky does not belong in a people home. Ugh!

Lyndsay said...

EW! this brought back some terrible memories from when we lived in the same area. The fact that they eat spiders doesn't put my mind at ease at all!

Anonymous said...

I discovered Leisy's love for bugs ends when I capture said 'house centipede' and pretend to throw it on her. I've never heard Leisy scream about a bug - I laughed for five minutes. These are super impressive creatures that I can't bring myself to kill. I set them all free into the wild.

Emerie Belle Snow

Madison's One Year Old Pictures

places we've been