Apple Picking

Thursday, April 23, 2009

Emerie's Birth Story

We are so happy to have little Miss Emerie Belle Snow in our home! As you can see, we decided on the name but we are still figuring out what spelling we like the best:) She is such a sweet little baby and so far only cries when we change her diaper, or if she is getting hungry. Madison has actually been the emotional one lately and has had a rough adjustment. She has thrown numerous academy award winning tantrums and has yet to learn how to be gentle with her little sister. She has her sweet moments when she is interested in the baby as you can see in the picture however we still have a long ways to go.

Here are the details of Emerie's birth-day. Wednesday morning I woke up with awful contractions that sent pain throughout my back, hips and legs. My legs kept going numb and I could hardly walk. This pain came and went in varying degrees of intensity for about an hour. I was worried I wouldn't be able to walk to the car if we had to go to the hospital however a little bit after 9:00 the pain stopped. I had an ob appointment scheduled at 9:40 that day so we decided to go in and see how I was progressing. We packed our bags in the car just in case we ended up going to the hospital. We dropped Madison off at our friends house before going to the appointment. My doctor said I was in the process of labor and strongly suggested, since my pain was so intense, that we go to the hospital so I could be augmented/induced. I was hesitant since I wanted everything to happen on it's own but I am so glad we ended up going in. Emerie came out with the cord wrapped around her neck so it wouldn't have been good to wait any longer. We are so blessed she wasn't in any distress during labor and that she came out a perfectly healthy little girl.

Before going to the hospital we stopped to see Madison and drop off her overnight bag. It broke my heart to leave her and I cried knowing she would be so confused as to where we were. I knew she was in good hands, I am just a sensitive mom and very emotional when I am pregnant:) Thanks again Glen and Jill for watching Madison for us!

At the hospital they started the pitocin and after a few hours broke my water. I made sure they had the epidural coming right after the water broke. I had heard too many stories of people who didn't get the epidural until almost too late and I wasn't prepared to be in that kind of pain. The contractions were coming on stronger and I was very grateful to see the anesthesiologist walk in the room.

Unfortunately my epidural experience wasn't the greatest. Having had back surgery in the same area where they usually put the epidural makes things harder, evidently. With Madison's birth the epidural went great. This time around they gave me the shot and after they did the test dose of medication I started getting very tired and couldn't stop yawning. Soon after that my lips felt numb, I couldn't keep my eyes open and I was having a hard time breathing. Basically, my blood pressure had dropped and I was passing out. Jake remained very calm throughout the whole thing. They stopped the medicine, gave, me some oxygen and ephedra and soon I was coming to again. It was a very weird feeling. I had two of these passing out episodes so the Doc decided to let the epidural medication wear off completely and then place another one in a different site a few hours later. The epidural had apparently gone too deep, you can ask Jake for the medical details since it's a little over my head. They assured me this only happens to 1% of people who get an epidural. Despite the mishap I didn't want to deliver "natural" so I was at ground zero again in having painful contractions but dead set on waiting for a second epidural.

This time around it worked great and sometime after 10:00 that night I was ready to push. Fortunately Lost was over by then so Jake and I were able to see last weeks whole episode! I only had to push for about 10 minutes and we were able to welcome little Emerie into the world.
We are so blessed that things went well and so excited to have a new little baby in our home.

15 comments:

Christine said...

Congratulations! We love her name!... and WOW! That's quite a birth story! I'm glad everything turned out well!!

claireb said...

Geez, what an adventure. I'm so glad that both you and Emerie are ok. And, you couldn't have chosen a cuter name.

Cynthia said...

Congrats!! I love the pics of her and Madison- she is adorable!

The Estes Family said...

Congrats!! The name is so cute, glad everything ended up ok!!

Lindsay said...

She is beautiful. Congratulations!

Madison came to singing time in nursery again on Sunday. I asked her about her new baby at home, but of course, she wasn't able to give me any details. Thanks for posting.

Brett and Becca Muir said...

She is such a beautiful baby. I love the name emerie so cute!!

Kent and Leisy said...

I am sooo glad that you got the epidural eventually...again!

www.OgazFamily.blogspot.com said...

Mother and Daughter both look wonderful! Congratulations!!!

Diane said...

Oh, she is so cute! How early was she? I am so happy for you guys. Bummer about Madison having a hard time adjusting. That is not fun! She'll come around though and you'll get better at knowing what to do to help her feel important still. Wonderful sisters. :)

I love the name, by the way.

Staci said...

Congrats...I've been waiting to see more pictures. Emerie is beautiful and has the same chubby cheeks Madison had. I hope Madison gets use to the new baby sister. That will make your life a whole lot less stressful. I wish you the best on your new adventure!

Outlandish McCandlish said...

Congratulations!
Epidurals are the best.

adrianne s. said...

Congratulations!! She is beautiful and I LOVE her name!!

michelle@somedaycrafts said...

Emerie is beautiful and I love her name! Sweet little Madison will have many adjusting days, but will love Emerie and become best friends with her. When our #2 came, I felt like I spent more time with Cadence (trying to make her happy, meeting her needs) than I did with the baby. that's life! Congrads!

Brittney said...

Congratulations! I just peeked at your blog and saw you had a baby girl... who's a few months old now! I hope everything's going well and that you're adjusting to having two. :)

Paige said...

Congratulations! She is absolutely adorable! I am so happy for you...two beautiful little girls. I love the narration from Mother's Day, too! Glad Russ isn't the only guy who says things like that from time to time. Jenny, you're gorgeous always. I doubt that's changed at all! Hope you're doing well.

Emerie Belle Snow

Madison's One Year Old Pictures

places we've been