Jake again.
I have a big foot, two actually...sometimes I have a big mouth too. From time to time one or more of my big feet end up right in my big mouth and I am forced to leave whatever room I may be in and sheepishly hide in a corner. One such instance happened last Sunday as Jenny and I were getting the girls ready for Mother's day church services. I believe the best way to relate this story is to borrow the dialogue approach used by EP and LP to share wit and humor. I will be js and Jenny will be JS... fair enough?
I had just finished feeding Madison her lunch and getting her dressed for church. Jen had just finished changing another one of Emerie's diapers and was in the bathroom finishing her make-up.
JS: What time is it hon?
js: 12:40, we've got a few minutes before we have to leave.
JS: Well, I'm almost done so... just make sure the girls are ready.
js: done.
Three to five minutes pass
JS (hurriedly emerging from the bathroom): Ok, let's go.
js: We've got a few more minutes if you want to finish your hair up here.
long awkward pause
JS: I already did my hair! What do you mean "finish"?
js: ummm, you already did it? uhhh... mmm... it's just that.... hmm, I just didn't realize you had already done it.
JS: You didn't realize that it wasn't done...what does it look like to you?
Should have stopped here and laid out lavish praise... didn't.
js (awkwardly): hmm, uhhh... well, I mean... it just doesn't look like.... well... I just didn't know it was done... I mean, it seems like you do, uhhh, something, uh, different... sometimes... ummm... don't you? But it looks great! I really like it.
JS (fortunately laughing at this point): I can't believe you would say that! Not done?
js: Happy Mother's Day?
The day ended up great and it was a fantastic Mother's day. I ended up taking my foot out of my mouth eventually and Jenny never got too mad, she just laughed at my awkwardness. I tried to redeem myself by providing a soothing foot-rub after church. All's well that end's well.
Comments from JS after reading the post:) I actually think I should be small js since Jake is physically bigger than I am, it's symbolic. Anyhow, Jake was very lucky that I decided to laugh instead of cry over his comment before church, you never know what will come out with those post-pregnancy hormones still out of whack! He was however justified in thinking my hair wasn't finished since I often do the thrown together up-do when I am getting in the shower and not washing my hair or just getting it out of my face. Luckily, I did get lots of compliments on my hair from the Young Women at church which made me feel much better. I really just need to get it cut so I can do something other than a pony tail which has been my hairstyle for the past few months:)
Tuesday, May 12, 2009
Foot in mouth disease
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




3 comments:
Jenny, I actually commented to ep that I loved your hair on Sunday. Jake, I've heard worse offenses--I can see where the confusion occurred.
I'm glad you crazy kids worked things out.
Jake, you should count your lucky stars that you have a patient wife. Hormones run high after birthing a child, so you make sure you dish out those compliments frequently.
I thought your hair was very cute Sunday, boys just don't know what good looks like sometimes!
Post a Comment