Apple Picking

Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Flashback to Teaching Junior High!

So today I did a crazy thing... It made me feel like I was in my junior high teaching mode again. Don't get me wrong, I was a really nice teacher, probably too nice sometimes, however you do have to put on your I am serious face quite often. The picture to the left is the only picture I have with my students where my face looks "tough" (and by the way, it was Halloween not the everyday teacher attire:). Anyhow, back to my story. So, the last few weeks there has been this car who will park near our house and play the loudest most awful rap music, to the point where I can hear a lot of four letter words crystal clear. The house vibrates and sometimes it goes on for a long time. I think this guy is waiting for someone he picks up in the apartments across the way. Today I had heard enough of his loud music. Madison was sleeping and I was worried it would wake her up. In a moments notice, without hesitation I ran downstairs and outside to this guys car. Luckily his window was cracked open so I could politely ask him to turn his music down. I explained that I could hear it throughout my whole house and that I didn't want my daughter to wake up. I felt angry but I put on a very pleasant face and said thank you after he apologized and turned down the music. He didn't realize it was so loud. Hopefully my gesture will prevent him from further hearing loss and Madison from learning new shocking words. Looking back at the whole thing it wasn't the smartest thing to do. I really had no idea who was in this car and definitely could have compromised my safety. Maybe it's the mother in me wanting to clean up the neighborhood??? I guess I did some crazy things as a junior high teacher as well. One day when I found out my student had a gun in class I asked him to come up to my desk and proceeded to drill him on the contents of his pocket. What in the world was I thinking? Lets hope I can try to make the world a better place without doing anything too crazy.

4 comments:

Emilee said...

My goodness! You are certainly brave, Jenny. But you probably made everyone in the neighborhood a whole lot happier. Good work!

Jake said...

My wife makes me so proud!

Kent and Leisy said...

Hey, I know those boys in the picture :) way to be teacher like! My teacher mode still pops out now and again.

Anonymous said...

Wow Jenny! You are more brave than I ever was! Way to keep it safe in Harvard Terrace :)

Emerie Belle Snow

Madison's One Year Old Pictures

places we've been