I need to record my memorable experience flying out to SLC. Jake had left for some interviews on the way to SLC a few days before my flight. I left on a Sunday afternoon after playing my violin in our first church meeting. It was a crazy day. Thanks Julie for the ride to the airport:) I have flown by myself with Madison two or three times and it's been just fine. Being pregnant and flying with Madison was something new. The first bump in the road was when American airlines told me they do not provide bags for car seats. I had talked to lots of friends that said not to worry about covering the car sear because the airlines have bags. I was pretty concerned because I knew the car seat would come back very dirty or maybe even torn after taking a ride on those luggage carriers. It was a very snowy and rainy day so I am sure we would have had a very wet and cold car seat in SLC if it wasn't covered. I asked if they had any garbage bags or could find a janitor that might have something, anything, I was determined. Most of the workers were kind of rude in their responses to my crazy mom inquires. Luckily one lady took pity on my and grabbed a giant roll of plastic wrap from the luggage department. She helped me wrap up the car seat and then we were off to our gate. Madison was great and stayed pretty entertained on the plane by ripping up the sky mall magazines and saying hi to everyone around her. I however got really sick on both landings of our flight. Luckily we had the whole row to ourselves because both incidents of puking were long, hard, loud and gross. It was a challenge I had never before experienced, throwing up and holding a busy one year old at the same time. The first few times I reached for the bag Madison grabbed it from me and threw it on the floor. One of the worst parts is that after we landed, I had to hold the bag until a flight attendant could assist me and throw it away. Poor Madison must have been so confused at what I was doing. On the second flight I was smart and warned the flight attendant before we landed that I would be filling up the bag and would need him to take it from me after we landed. Lets just say that I was a mess after landing in SLC after midnight. I couldn't even make it up the ramp into the baggage claim before having to find a garbage can to throw up again. Luckily there weren't a lot of people around because I am sure I was quite the site. Jake in the meantime was relaxing in his spa retreat hotel that the Memphis residency program had put him up in. Luckily he was able to fly with me back to Toledo and everything went great on the flight home.
Back in Toledo Madison was able to enjoy the present that Santa got her for Chirtmas. A cute little rocking horse that swishes his tail and makes horsie sounds. We miss our family so much but it is always nice to be at home after a long vacation.
Tuesday, February 10, 2009
A few more Christmas memories
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




2 comments:
Oh man- I can't belive you had to yak on the airplane- no fun! Especially while going with a one year old by yourself. You are a trooper!
lol...you poor thing! That's horrible... but I do have to say I couldn't help but laugh as I imagined it all, especially the part when Madison pulled the bag away from you in your moment of desperation. You are one amazing woman!
Post a Comment