Apple Picking

Sunday, February 8, 2009

Georgia on my mind...

A couple of months ago while coveting... I mean window shopping at Bass Pro Shops in nearby Rossford, Ohio I got to talking with a nice chap about the incredible happiness and opportunity that comes with owning a timeshare. He wanted me to pay him just $59 for a three day, two night stay at one of their facilities in the Smoky Mountains of Tennessee and all I had to do was agree to hear a 90 minute sales pitch. Although intrigued, I resisted hoping he would throw in some additional perks. He responded nicely to my resistance and offered to throw in $50 worth of Bass Pro gift cards if I signed up, the cost to me would be just $9 plus 90 minutes of our time. For two nights in the Smokies that was a deal I couldn't pass up. With Jenny's blessing I signed up and we made plans to spend her birthday (29 years young last Friday) in Tennessee!

It was a fantastic trip! The lodging was really nice, full kitchen, fireplace, elegant 15 inch TV (that was the only downer) and a large jacuzzi tub in the bathroom. The Smokies are beautiful even this time of year and the weather was great. It was a fantastic break from the rigors of this year. We weren't quite sure what to expect from the 90 minute sales pitch but Mike D. (unfortunately not THE Mike D. from the Beastie Boys) was pleasant and accepted our refusal graciously. It was great to spend some time in the mountains, and for those of you who haven't seen them, these are real mountains. One of the coolest parts of the park was being able to hike for a short while on the Appalachian trail. I am sure that spring, summer and fall are all better times of year to visit than February... but we were still impressed with the beauty.

Aside from the natural beauty, Appalachia offered some fantastic cultural insights. Our favorite quote was the mother who said to her two girls, "Dang, it sure has been a long time since you've been able to take off yer shoes and socks and play in the mud." They promptly did exactly that, and they loved it. We were also quite entertained watching Georgia's finest youth from the New Haven Bible Church experience snow for the first time (see pics below).


This guy had a great trip


What do you mean I can't take it home with me?


Hiking the Appalachian Trail


Snow Family Vacation


Madison loved it!




Flyin' through the Smokies




Jenny Preachin' at the Ol' Church


Our home for three days and two nights



It was a great weekend!

1 comment:

The Ziemers said...

Wow, Jake, you always find ways to get great deals! It looks like you had a great vacation. Madison is sooooo cute! I love her curly hair in the back.

Emerie Belle Snow

Madison's One Year Old Pictures

places we've been