Today I had an awkward and embarrassing moment with Madison. On the way back from dropping Jake's sister off at the airport I needed to use the closest bathroom available (being nearly nine months pregnant results in emergency bathroom stops). We stopped at the McDonald's and Madison went with me into the bathroom which must have been over a hundred degrees! I hoped to be fast and out of the bathroom before passing out with heat exhaustion. Unfortunately, both stalls were occupied in this small bathroom. It wasn't long before one of the ladies came out of the stall. As she walked by Madison said, "Look at that big fat lady!" I had never heard her say anything like that and was shocked by what I heard. The bathroom all of a sudden felt like two hundred degrees as my face flushed red. There was no hiding it, she was the only one coming out of the stall and Madison not only said it nice and loud but she kept on repeating it. "Mom, did you see that big fat lady...!" Not knowing how to make her stop saying it since the lady was still in the bathroom washing her hands I tried to tell her we don't say that about people. Madison's response was to ask me repeatedly in an even louder voice, "Why can't we say big fat lady! She is big and fat...!" When I tried to change the subject she kept asking in an even louder more frustrated voice. Luckily I heard the hand dryer come on and hopefully that muted most of the conversation. It wasn't long before the automatic toilet flushed and then Madison started screaming because it was loud and it scared her. After she calmed down from the scary toilet she was back to the conversation about the "big fat lady". Let's hope that this lady wasn't too hurt by the words of my two year old as she went to place her order at the McDonald's counter. In the car I tried to keep a straight face as I explained to Madison why we don't say what she did in the bathroom. Kids are just so honest and in the end I did get a good laugh over the whole awkward situation but we definitely don't want to repeat it. So sorry McDonald's Lady.
Monday, July 25, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





3 comments:
I'm so glad my kids aren't the only ones that say embarrassing things. It is kind of funny though.
My daughter Ella refused to go to swim lessons one session at the Y in Toledo because she said her teacher was fat...and she didn't just tell me. So embarassing. It hast to be confusing for them though when we teach them to tell the truth and then follow with something like this! Good times being the mom, huh?
Maybe this lady got a salad instead that day and put her on the right track to eating better :) I love the things that comes out of kids mouths!
Post a Comment